Nominated as the Municipal Councillor in the BMC (Municipal Corporation
of Greater Mumbai)
as a Representative from the Academic section from 2012
-2017, during the tenure recommended and suggested various policies for the
benefit of the city of Mumbai and also introduced polices to make the local
governance more accountable to the citizens.
- Ranked as the Best Nominated Municipal Councillor of the City, by the
Marathi newspaper ‘Prahar’ in February 2014.
- Ranked amongst the Top Five First Time Best Performers as the
Municipal Councillor by the newspaper Nav Bharat Times in March 2017.
- Ranked amongst the Ten Best Municipal Councillor of the City in
February 2017 out of the total 232 Municipal Councillors of the Mumbai
City in the BMC.
- Proposed various policies for the Urban Governance and Represented
the Municipal Corporation (BMC) in BRICS Conference (Brazil, Russia,
India, China and South Africa) February, 2017.
- Represented the Municipal Corporation (BMC) for the Study Tours to
Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (2016) and Andaman and Nicobar
Islands Corporation (2017) on the special recommendation of the Hon.
Mayor of Mumbai city and the Municipal Commissioner of Mumbai city.
- Instrumental in raising the issue for the protection of, art, aesthetics and
decor of Marine Drive (Heritage Grade II), a coastal promenade called
the Queens Necklace in Mumbai which had a Grade II Heritage Tag for
the display of sodium vapour street lamps, these lamps offered a
magnificent lustre to the site. It was the highly visited tourist site in the
city due to its display of yellow lights which gave it the nick name of
The lights of the street were changed in arbitrary manner in January,
2016 to white without any consultation with the autonomous body of
BMC neither by the due process of law any consent was acquired from
the Mumbai Heritage Conservation Committee (MHCC). It was after the
One year of massive struggle, correspondence, and intervention from
the Hon. High Court of Mumbai and due to the support of the media, the
lost lustre was restored back and the lamps were changed from White to
Yellow, the struggle lasted from January 2015 to January 2016. The BMC
was saved of paying Rs. 1Cr. 21 lakhs and wasting taxpayer’s money.
- Discovered 53 Static Underground Water tanks as old as 100 years old
with each tank having the water storage capacity of 2, 50,000 litres.
The total water holding capacity of tanks was amounting to 15 million
litres of water storage. The consistent follow up on the issue yielded
results and the water tanks are restored and reused by the Fire Brigade
department of the Mumbai city. The preservation, conservation and
restoration of the lost water heritage of the city were restored back due
to this initiative (August 2016- September 20170.
- Introduced the ‘Cultural Policy’ through the Notice of Motion in the
BMC. The policy was to promote tangible and intangible heritage of the
city of Mumbai and there should be special allocation of funds in the
- Instrumental in getting the Policy for Senior Citizens effectively
implemented in the city of Mumbai and was actively involved with
various NGO’s towards the cause of the Senior citizens.
- Introduced Policy on having First E- waste processing unit in the city of
Mumbai which was implemented by the BMC in the city in January
2016. Mumbai Municipal Corporation was the only Corporation in the
country who had its own Public Private enterprise on the E-waste
processing. The processing plant is located at Vile Parle , opp Mithibai
- Nominated as the Trustee Twice by the Hon. Mayor and the Municipal
Commissioner of Mumbai, on the Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu
Sanghralay (CSVMS), formerly known as, Prince of Wales Museum,
Introduced the concept, ‘Museum on Wheels’ in the Municipal schools
of Mumbai. The bus has the artefacts and displays from the Museum
and is based on the various themes and it goes to the Municipal schools
in the city and conducts workshops and learning sessions in the
Municipal school. The entire activity is conducted FREE of cost. The
project was inaugurated in the Colaba Municipal School, on 8 th
- A Notice of Motion was proposed for Protecting the Heritage of the city.
The Policy on the maintenance, conservation and restoration of
heritage of Mumbai was accepted by the Municipal Corporation and it
received the sanction of 50 million (Rs.5 crs) for the same purpose in the
Annual Budget of 2017-18.
- First and the only Municipal Councillor so far to have taken up the cause
of the Tuberculosis (T.B) Hospital, Sewri in Mumbai and allocated 3.5
Millions from his Councillor Funds on 28 th December, 2016 to provide
special equipments for the effective and faster surgery of the patients.
The surgery which would take 12hours due to the lack of the adequate
equipments can now be performed in just Four hours after procuring the
medical equipments through these funds.
- First and only BMC Councillor to have given E-speech on the Budget of
BMC in 2016-17.
- First Municipal Councillor to start Senior citizens katta (sitting places)
in Mumbai and gave more than 200 benches for the same amounting to
almost Rs 1 crore (10 million) and above for the cause.
- Instrumental in Saving the Metro Subway at Marine Lines, Mumbai for
the Pedestrians, as the municipal authorities had passed the policy of it
being used as the Hawking Zone. The Right of Pedestrians for a Safe
Walking Space was protected through this initiative.
- Introduced and proposed the Policy of Social Impact Analysis. It was to
be applicable for the all the policies proposed by the BMC for the
citizens of Mumbai. It would help in getting prior suggestions and voices
of the Mumbaikars on various civic policies before they are enforced on
the citizens of the city of Mumbai.
- Raised the issue about the Insurance and Safety of the Fire Fighters of
the City working in the BMC and got assurance from the Municipal
Commissioner on the introduction of a separate policy for it.
- Raised the issue on the role and effective functioning of the Mumbai
Heritage Conservation Committee (MHCC). The Committee had become
defunct and also lacked the experts required to be appointed on it. The
issue was resolved after the systematic intervention of the Municipal
- Represented the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) at
the Stuttgart-Mumbai Business Conclave and was part of the Wine
Festival in February, 2017.
- Actively involved in the discussion of all the Annual Budgets of the BMC
and of the Budgets of BEST from 2012 to 2017. Some of the suggestions
and recommendation were incorporated by the civic administration.
- Actively involved with various NGO’s and activist groups in the city and
was able to engage with them on various forums like TISS, Money life
Foundation, Mumbai Vikas Samiti, Sahas Foundation, AGNI, Churches of
the City, etc